Saturday, April 13, 2013

A special kind of insanity

Lots of aviation activity this last week, three days of aerial event meetings in a row. All of them are struggling a bit with this sequestration crap, the loss of US Military support really hurts the bottom line. The average air show spectator comes out for that high tech hardware, 2013 is going to test our ability to make these events attractive for Joe Q. Public.

The weather was good enough to fly to at least one of the meetings. It was a nice break in the work day.

So, a few weeks ago I'm reading through Biplaneforum.com, like I do on a daily basis, and in the classified section is a guy selling a few sets of airplane plans, one being an Acro Sport II. So I think to myself, "Hey, that'd be cool to have those plans just in case I want to build an Acro Sport!" (That's how I ended up with my Pitts, Sonerai and Fly Baby plans...). So I post on the board, "Are the ASII plans still available?" That's when it started...

Yes, they were available, and minutes later I get a private message from another forum member, "Are you thinking of building an Acro Sport?" Loaded question. "Why yes I am." Which is followed by a picture from him of a welded up fuselage sitting on gear and he wrote something like, "Let's make a deal!" And a deal was made...

So, now I have a set of plans and fuselage sitting in my hangar next to the Wolf Pitts. And once again, I'm embarking on a journey to build a flying aircraft. The journey will not be swift, cheap or easy, but it will be gratifying.

Let the insanity begin...


No comments:

Post a Comment